RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Offshore – Dublin
Who this course is for: Experienced and up-coming skippers.
Length of course: The course is taught over 45 hours. It can be covered as a series of one night per week sessions, as an intensive week-long course, or over three weekends.
Objective: To reach the standard required for the Yachtmaster Coastal and Yachtmaster Offshore practical exams.
Assessment: There are three exam papers.
Prerequisites: Significant previous sailing or boating experience is expected. Some mathematical ability would be useful.
Format of the course: The course allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to advanced navigation techniques.
- Position fixing
- Course shaping and plotting
- Tidal knowledge
- Use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- Electronic position finding equipment
- Taking and interpreting forecasts
- Plotting weather systems
- Weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- Collision regulations
- Customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad.