RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Offshore – Dublin
Who this course is for: Experienced and up-coming skippers.
Length of course: The course is taught over 45 hours. It will be covered over two weekends and a series of one night per week classroom sessions.
Objective: To reach the standard required for the Yachtmaster Coastal and Yachtmaster Offshore practical exams.
Assessment: There are three exam papers.
Prerequisites: Significant previous sailing or boating experience is expected. Some mathematical ability would be useful.
Format of the course: The course allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to advanced navigation techniques.
- Position fixing
- Course shaping and plotting
- Passage planning
- Tidal knowledge
- Use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- Electronic position finding equipment and chartplotters
- Taking and interpreting weather forecasts
- Plotting weather systems
- Weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- Collision regulations
- Customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad.
This course will be classroom based (not online) on the following weekends:
Fri 20 evening, Sat 21 and Sun 22 October 2023, and
Fri 19 evening, Sat 20 and Sun 21 January 2024
In addition, there will be a number of evening classroom-based sessions on Monday evenings in November, December and January.